Special Collections contains a wide range of genealogy and family history resources in print and on microfilm, with an emphasis on Cherokee and other Oklahoma tribes. Below is a partial list of these resources:
Selected Print Resources
- Burns, Annie Walker. Ward Families History Records of the Eastern Cherokee Tribe. Washington, DC: N.p., [19--]. (E 99 .C5B87)
- Burns, Louis F. Osage Mission Baptism, Marriages, and Interments, 1820-1886. Fallbrook, CA: Ciga Press, 1986. (E 99 .O8B887)
- Hampton, David Keith. Cherokee Mixed-Bloods: Additions and Corrections to Family Genealogies of Dr. Emmet Starr. Lincoln, AR: ARC Press of Cane Hill, 2005. (E 99 .C5S8)
- Hampton, David Keith. Descendants of Nancy Ward: Beloved Woman of the Cherokees. Norman, OK: N.p., 1975. (E 95 .C5H251)
- Moulton, Gary E., ed. The Papers of Chief John Ross. 2 vols. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1985. (E 99 .C5R82).
- Southwell, Kristina L., ed. Cherokee Nation Papers Inventory and Index. (Located on top of the microform cabinets.)
- Starr, Emmet. History of the Cherokee Indians and Their Legends and Folk Lore. Muskogee, OK: Hoffman Printing Co.., 1979. Starr's book was republished in 1984. The use of an index with Starr's book is highly recommended if you do not already have the needed entry citations. Some copies of Starr's book were published with an index, and some are more than one volume. There also exists a separately printed index to the title.
Selected Resources on Microform
- 1851 Census of Eastern Cherokee Indians, Known as the Drennen Roll. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Service, 1965. (E 99 .C5U5)
- Approved Roll of Osage Indians in Oklahoma. Washington, DC: Dept. of the Interior, 1921. (E 99 .O8U51)
- Cherokee Nation Papers. Norman, OK: Western History Collections, University of Oklahoma Libraries, 1994. (E 99 .C5C575)
- Index to the 1835 Census of the Cherokee Indians East of the Mississippi River. Tomball, TX: Genealogical Pub., 1976. (E 99 .C5U575)
- Indian-Pioneer History Collection. Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1978-81. (F 693 .I52 1978)
- Indian-Pioneer Papers, 1861-1936. Greenwich, CT: Johnson Associates, 1981. (F693 .I52 1981)
The Indian-Pioneer Papers are also available online (see the link below).
- Kiowa Agency Census and Enrollment. Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1984. (E98 .C3K56)
- Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-80. Washington, DC: National Archives, 1966. (E 93 .U727)
- Special Files of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1807-1904. Washington, DC: National Archives, 1964. (E 93 .U5836)