Google Scholar Advanced Tips
- 1. Google Scholar can be used to find professional papers written by scholars and scientists on a wide variety of topics.
- The following example returns papers on the subject of optometry written by people named Penisten:
- penisten optometry
- Enter the name in quotes if running a search on a topic that includes an author's last name and their initial(s):
- "d penisten" optometry
- Below is an example of formatting a search on an author's last name and initials, while not focusing on a particular topic:
- "d penisten"
- Another method that can be used to search for professional papers written by a particular author is to type author: followed by the author's last name. For example:
- author:penisten optometry
- Below are examples of two different approaches for running the same search when using an author's initials or full name (exclude the word optometry if wanting to search only for the author):
- author:"d penisten" optometry
- author:"douglas penisten" optometry
Page maintained by: Gary Cheatham
Last updated: September 29, 2011